Saturday, December 6, 2008

Teenage driving

Teenage drivers.  I now have two of 'em.  Zach got his learner's permit on Wed.  The SAME day that Clay was involved in a 5 car pile-up.  No one was hurt ---Thank Goodness!  His Chevy S-10 is looking pretty sad.  The front end is crushed like a tin can.  We are waiting for the insurance adjuster to check it out.  

Since it was raining on the day Zach got his license, I would not let him drive home.  One accident a day was all I could take. 

Yesterday he drove home from school.  I kept telling him to SLOW down.  I knew this day would come and I have been dreading it.  Let's take a trip back in time....

About 12 years ago, Bob bought the boys a battery powered Jeep.  Clay and Zach drove that thing until the tire tread was smooth.  At first, Zach was content to let Clay do all the driving.  They were so cute sitting side by side in the jeep.  However, Zach got a taste of life in the driver's seat and he became the primary driver.  Even at ages 3 and 5, their driving styles mirrored their personalities.  Clay is cautious and  Zach loves speed.  

One day I was stepping out into the garage as Zach drove around the driveway.  I called for him to come in for lunch.  He came into the garage at top speed (well...top speed for a battery powered Jeep) and put the brakes on seconds before hitting the garage wall.  He literally stopped the Jeep a mere 1/2 inch from the wall.  He was going so fast that when he finally stopped, it threw him forward in his seat.  He looked up at me with the biggest grin on his face. After I started breathing again, I realized that I was never going to let him get his driver's license.  



No comments: