Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Now I know why they are called DEVILed Eggs


I've invited my family and a couple of neighbors to spend Christmas Eve at my house.  I thought I would make a variety of finger foods for everyone to munch on while we visit.  Deviled eggs were on my list.  My hens have been laying very nicely and I have an over abundance of eggs right now. I don't eat deviled eggs but I didn't think  it could be too terribly difficult to make a batch.  It would be an easy dish to make ahead.  So I browsed the internet for a recipe and got to work.

After an afternoon of battling the eggs, I know now why they are called DEVILed eggs.

I boiled the eggs and peeled them.  So far, so good.  I mixed up the ingredients and tried a bite.  I've never ate a deviled egg but they seemed OK.  THEN I got the bright (stupid) idea to fancy up my deviled eggs.  I pulled out my cake decorating kit and set out to pipe the filling with a pretty cake decorating tip.  I loaded up my bag, taking care to fold down the bag so I wouldn't make a mess (you'll understand the irony of this futile act in a few seconds), and proceeded to pipe the filling.  Didn't work. I had forgotten about adding relish to the filling and it clogged up the tip.  I wasn't defeated yet.  By golly, I was going to have pretty deviled eggs for my guests.  I grabbed another bag and chose a tip with a larger opening.  I started to pipe. I managed to get two eggs filled when the tip clogged again.  No problem, I just applied more pressure.  Everything was going smoothly until the pastry bag literally ripped apart and filling went everywhere.  

That's when it occurred to me that deviled eggs deserved their name.




2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh no! I can just see you covered with deviled egg filling!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

Cindy

Leah Adams said...

Amy,

I didn't know you had a blog or I would have been over here visiting before now. I love the deviled egg story. They can be hard to do, can't they. I've never tried piping the filling in. I just use a spoon and put it in.

Hope you had a great Christmas!!

leah