Monday, July 18, 2011

Making a difference or a point?

Sunday morning I listened to a message by Andy Stanley. The title of the message was The Separation of Church and Hate.

Pastor Stanley asks the question....

Am I making a difference or am I making a point?

My question to myself...

Have I deceived myself into believing the "differences" I am making are really just "points"?

Pastor Andy challenges a lot of stuff this Southern-Baptist gal grew up believing and for the past several years... has questioned.

Do I make a difference?

If I don't...

then...

what's the point?



2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Amy,

One of my greatest fears is that, in ministry, I am making a point rather than making a difference. Lord, have mercy, I want to make a difference in the lives of others for the sake of the gospel.

Williams Arena said...

Leah- I agree. I don't know about you, but there are so many things I was taught as a child that I'm realizing were more legalistic and Pharisaic in nature...than God natured. I think we have been conditioned to "make a point". I think the problem is so pervasive that we actually encourage each other to make a point in place of making a difference...and we don't even realize we are perpetuating the problem.

You are correct, for the sake of the gospel...We MUST make a difference in the lives of others.