Monday, July 11, 2011

Grow Baby Grow

Last year's garden was a complete failure. I had a few spindly tomato plants and a handful of green beans. Literally...a handful. There wasn't enough for one meal. I fed them to the chickens.

This year we built raised beds and filled them with soil conditioner. One load even had a horseshoe in it.

What a difference! These tomato plants are around 6 ft tall. It's a veritable jungle inside the fence.


This is ONE watermelon plant. It has spread all over the place and is now climbing the fence.


I have two melons that are this size and a ton of blooms. If they all mature before the first frost, I'll have enough melons to supply the entire neighborhood.

I did not take a picture of my green beans. For some reason, they will not grow in this garden. Just my luck....the one green vegetable that everyone in my family will actually eat and I can't grow it.

I guess the green beans are keeping me humble this year....






1 comment:

Leah Adams said...

We put in acouple of raised beds with mushroom compost in them and our tomatoes are ridiculous. Over 6 feet tall....and the squash have been awesome too.