Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Great-Grandma Hood's quilt

From the stitches you can tell some were by made by hand and some with her treadle sewing machine.
The colors and combinations are....well......
...not exactly pretty.
The pieces are remnants of previous sewing projects. Odds and ends joined together with fabric from flour sacks.
The quilt top has sat around for many, many years. After my grandmother passed away, I asked my aunt for one of Grandma Hood's quilt tops. I envisioned one of her beautiful Wedding Ring quilts or one of her Star of Bethlehem quilts. This quilt wasn't what I had in mind.

I brought it home, gave it a good cleaning and tucked it away. For some reason, I happened to think about it the other day. I thought that maybe it might look good on Adam's bed. I brought it out and looked at it with new appreciation.

For the past week it has been sitting on the back of my sofa. I've decided that it is perfect for my living room.

I smile every time I walk past it.

PS. I took the quilt to the local fabric shop today. I've decided to try and finish the quilt top. The lady at the shop said the cream fabric is feed sacks and the pink calico print (in the picture above) is from a flour sack... I just fell deeper in love with this quilt.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Amy,

I have some quilt tops that my grandma made that are just like that. Not pretty but you know they were made with their precious hands and so they are a treasure.

Leah

Cindy said...

I have a quilt from my Grandmother and one from Robert's Grandmother. They are such treasures. I can just imagine the time they spent on them.