Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mom's in Rehab


Now that's a title that will get attention :)

My dad and I went this past Friday to admit my mom into a full-time rehabilitation center. While she was receiving excellent care through home health, she wasn't progressing as well as hoped. Her doctor decided to step-up the game plan and pulled a few strings to get her admitted.

I can't say enough about the quality of care she has received from her doctors. Dr. Dixon and Dr. Pruitt are the best.

She would prefer to be at home right now. The beauty of full-time rehab is she won't get a choice. She's there for 10 days. We're hoping those 10 days will result in a marked improvement and once she realizes the benefits of rehab, she'll be more willing to work at home on her recovery.

Instead of pushing her to do for herself, we are guilty of stepping in too soon. It's hard to know when to push and when to step back. Part of her rehab includes family education sessions to help the caretakers make those decisions.

We are leaving in a few minutes to attend worship services at the rehab center. I'm looking forward to it. She hasn't been able to attend church in over 6 weeks. It will be nice to worship together.

P.S. The worship service was really nice. Mom was the only patient that attended but it blessed my heart to see so many nurses attend the service. It was confirmation that she is in good hands. I wrote out this verse and gave it to mom. I told her that next week when the rehab is hard and she feels overwhelmed to remember that she is an overcomer.

I believe I am an overcomer, more than a conquerer, and nothing will keep God from carrying out His plans!
Romans 8: 32-39

3 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Aww, God bless her sweet heart. I hope this is a good thing for her recovery and speeds things along.

Williams Arena said...

Thanks Leah!

Fred Shope said...

It's good that she is receiving good care. Praying for a quick and complete recovery.