Monday, January 3, 2011

Morning Head Count

The holidays brought Clay home from college.

I have a little habit that developed a couple of summers ago. Each morning of that first summer of "teenage mobility" (aka - driver's license), I would wake up and complete a mental head count.

One, two, three.

Who was here...who spent the night with a friend. Some mornings would find a few extra heads to count.

One, two, three, four, five, six....

I didn't realize I had developed this almost unconscious habit until Clay left for college. The head count had become a little ritual that provided me a sense of peace because everyone was safe and accounted for.

Then Clay left for school, and my little morning ritual was disrupted. *sigh*

But the holidays brought him home again and for one sweet week, my morning head count was

one, two, three :)


No comments: