Saturday, January 17, 2009

Beauty

I came home from class this past Monday night and was greeted by this sight.  


One of the things that I enjoy about teaching in PUBLIC school is that I get to share my faith in unexpected ways. This past week I began a unit on the formation of the solar system.  I love teaching this unit.  We talked about the nebular theory and the big bang theory.  Then, it happened.....

EVERY SINGLE TIME  I teach this unit a student will ask me if I think God created the universe.  I assure them that YES I believe God created the universe.  I also tell them that what I hope they will come to understand and appreciate is the beauty and complexity of that creation.  I don't want them to take it for granted.  

Sit down for a moment and really think about all the pieces that have to be in place for life to exist on Earth.  It is staggering.  Accident or lucky chain of events?   I don't think so.     

For me, teaching science does not contradict my faith.  I've had people ask me how I can teach science in public school.  I reply that the more I learn about science, the more I am amazed at the greatness of God.  




2 comments:

Cindy said...

Amy, I totally agree with you. The more we learn the more God is revealed. I think it takes more faith on the part of those who believe that all of this happened by accident than for those of us who know that God is the Creator.

The moon was beautiful wasn't it?

Leah Adams said...

Amy,

It takes more faith to believe in the big bang theory by far than to believe in a Creator. All you have to do is look at the human body as far as I am concerned. 'Course that is because I am in the medical profession. Thanks for a great post.

leah