Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm a Strawberry Diva

Last spring I started a raised strawberry bed. Well...truth is Bob started the bed. He built it, filled it with dirt....you know....all the hard jobs. I just planted the crowns.

I had purchased this variety and the planting instructions recommended removing the blooms until the end of June. Only a few, tiny berries appeared in July and August and I was certain that I was a huge gardening failure.

BUT...after the hot days of summer disappeared, the berries kicked into high gear. I picked right up to the first frost.

However, last fall's production is nothing compared to this spring. I've already picked around 10-15 pints in less than 2 weeks. These berries are huge and sweet.

Proof that I am strawberry diva :)

P.S. A good friend recommended this book to me. After reading the book, I decided to return to gardening and focus on purchasing more local products. It's a good read for anyone who is interested in eating better and helping their local farmers.

1 comment:

Leah Adams said...

Yummo!! I want to buy some strawberries and make more jam this year. I planted a couple of plants but know they won't yield until next year so I'm stuck buying berries this year.