Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Jam

(My new Paula Deen enamelware pot...love, love, love it.)

I made jam today.  
Every summer I try to fill the freezer with peaches, blueberries, and strawberries. What doesn't get used through the winter is made into jam/jelly the following summer.
Last year my aunt's cherry tree was filled with sour cherries. This is a rare event because a late freeze almost always kills the cherry blossoms.  If any cherries survive, the birds clean the tree in just a few hours.  But last year there were tons of cherries.  You could sit in the house and look out toward the pasture and see the cherries hanging in the tree.  I grabbed the boys and we picked for an hour or so.  

I've never made sour cherry jam before. This is the best stuff.  I could eat the whole jar.  It's like a Starburst candy.  The sweet and sour combination is sooo good.  
My kitchen is a sticky mess right now but I know next winter when I'm opening a jar of peach jam, I'll be so thankful for a taste of summer.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

One of these days I am going to slow down enough to do some canning. Never done it before but surely I could learn??? I'd love to do jams and preserves and beans and many other things. There just isn't the time right now. Poor excuse, isn't it?

Leah

Knit Witch said...

Hey there! Thanks for visiting the blog. You are definitely very close! I haven't heard of that yarn shop before - I will have to check them out. I love your new canning pot! I bought a new one for this season but it is so huge I'm thinking I should have made a smaller choice. :( We made some blackberry jam from blackberries out of our yard and it is soooo good! I may have to pick your brain on the pickled beets - I think I have some out in the garden I need to pick!